TKA currently has 0 job openings at present.
For future openings we do keep resumes on file. Please include a resume and cover letter detailing your past work and or/college experience and any music-related activities. Please submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TKA INTERN PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
The intern program at The Kurland Agency is open to all students who are currently enrolled in a degree course of study. TKA has long-standing relationships with the intern programs of Berklee College of Music, Northeastern University, Boston University, New England Conservatory, Emerson College and Endicott College. Students from disciplines outside of music and music business, and from other schools, have also interned at the agency. Our unpaid internships are available throughout the year, and offer flexible hours.
The Kurland Agency began as a booking agency in the seventies with vibraphonist Gary Burton as one of its first clients. TKA has since become the premier boutique booking agency for jazz music. Miles Davis, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Nina Simone, and Modern Jazz Quartet have all been clients of the Agency. The present roster includes Chick and John, Pat Metheny, Wynton Marsalis, John Pizzarelli, Gary Burton, Sonny Rollins, Roy Haynes, Ellis Marsalis, Cécile McLorin Salvant, Lisa Fischer, and many others. TKA also represents blues, folk, and world music artists in their present roster including Béla Fleck, James Cotton, The Soul Rebels, Ronnie Earl, Jack Broadbent, House of Waters and Red Baraat.
TKA arranges bookings for these artists on a national and international basis. Interns will work on projects that include overviews of the booking process — from planning tours and soliciting dates to the negotiation and contracting process. TKA also has a Management Division that counts Pat Metheny and The Soul Rebels among their clients. Management does utilize TKA interns on a case-by-case basis — assisting in the areas of artist management, tour management, and music publishing and royalty accounting.
TKA hopes to create an experience that will help interns to better understand the business of booking and managing artists. As noted above, all internships are unpaid positions, however, there are instances where freelance data entry projects become available and are paid on a per-project basis. In addition to general administrative tasks, interns are encouraged to explore components of the business in greater detail through independent projects formulated in conjunction with the Internship Coordinator. Benefits of the internship include mentorship by senior agents and VPs, and a music industry focused resume/Cover Letter workshop.
I really got the chance to learn a lot about the day-to-day operations of the agency, and also a lot about the music industry as a whole.
Sitting in on booking meetings and talks were extremely valuable.
I also really like updating and curating the website. I feel like I got to KNOW a lot of the artists on the roster.
-Summer 2014 Interns
Duties may include:
- Assisting Contract Managers and Agents.
- Researching information via the web.
- Assisting in web-site publishing and maintenance.
- Maintaining / updating databases.
- Assisting with e-mail marketing projects.
- Organization of materials for publicity mailings.
- Helping to organize tour materials and help advance tour dates with proper marketing materials, including the tracking of ticket sales.
- Maintenance of the video library and other publicity materials.
- Proof-reading marketing materials.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to take projects to completion.
- Open to jazz, blues and world music.
- Students with a background or experience in music, music business, marketing, public relations, graphic design, photography, statistics, information technology, accounting, law and business strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit via email to: email@example.com.